Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Snowy Hi from the UK!!!!

Yes, the UK has a major snow event!!! Now whilst my US and Canadian friends may shake their heads please remember the Brits are just not used to this kind of weather. We have had severe Winters in the past - 1963, 1985 and 1995 - but these are quickly forgotten and when it happens all over again everyone exclaims they've never seen anything like it!!!! Even those in charge seem to have forgotten past severe Winter weather and are now rationing grit/road salt having failed to buy in enough despite being warned by weather forecasters. It really beggars belief we pay these people but there it is. Where I am is not at all bad - sure my estate road is still frozen snow but the main roads are reasonably clear - I managed to make it to the grocery store this morning and despite dire predictions by the media, the shelves were full and I got what I needed!!! You know not many folks these days seem to keep a pantry stocked like my Mom and Grandma did - canned and packet stuff - and Big Sis says her folks did that too. We both keep a supply of that kind of thing as well as good old freezers with homemade stuff ready to thaw when needed. I'm warm, I have food and my little car's windshield is covered with towels against more snow we're supposed to get tonight. Right now I'm baking a chicken stuffed with onions, lemon and thyme to have with mashed potato (with a little sweet potato) brussels sprouts and gravy - real comfort food for a cold Winter day!!! I wish I could share for real with my Big Sis but I know she's out to lunch today - it's almost as cold in the UK as it is with her and that's saying something!!!! Both Big Sis and I have a lot to be thankful for and we ARE thankful AND I'm stitching after dinner - go me!!!!! Have a good, safe weekend and happy stitching!!!!!

1 comment:

Branlaadee said...

Dinner sounds delicious! The northern hemisphere seems to be having some crazy weather this winter. South Florida is freezing, snow in the UK.